No. 1 Terps shell No. 5 Virginia Field Hockey 4-1

Early defensive woes doom squad

The No. 5 Virginia field hockey team ended its regular season with a 4-1 loss at No. 1 Maryland this weekend. The Cavaliers will get a week off before the ACC Tournament begins Nov. 7.

This marks the second time this season the Cavaliers (15-4, 3-3 ACC) have fallen to a No. 1 opponent — the team also lost to then-No. 1 North Carolina Sept. 20. Besides a loss to unranked William & Mary, all of Virginia’s defeats have come against the current top-3 teams in the country.

The Terrapins (17-1, 5-0 ACC) took the lead against Virginia just four minutes into the game and never gave it back. Senior forward Jill Witmer put Maryland on the board for her 15th goal of the year, which is good for second in the conference behind Virginia senior forward Elly Buckley.

Maryland junior forward Maxine Fluharty scored at the 12-minute mark, and then again with just over a minute left in the first half to give the Terrapins a 3-0 lead going into the break. Junior goalkeeper Jenny Johnstone recorded six saves off 11 Maryland shots in the first half. Virginia recorded just one shot in the half.

The Cavaliers made adjustments during halftime and were able to put on a much better second-half performance. Virginia scored off a penalty corner 13 minutes into the period, with the goal coming from senior back Katie Robinson. Buckley recorded an assist on the play. Maryland then countered with one final goal from junior forward Welma Luus to seal the victory.

Virginia outshot the Terrapins 9-5 in the second half.

Though the Cavaliers are the only ACC team to have finished regular season play, Virginia will face Duke in the opening round of the ACC Tournament unless the Blue Devils can upset Maryland next weekend.