No. 4 Cavaliers rout Radford

Field hockey team earns third consecutive shutout

The No. 4 Virginia field hockey team defeated Radford 5-0 in Charlottesville Tuesday night for its third consecutive shutout victory. The Highlanders only took one shot in the game, compared the Cavaliers’ 31.

Virginia (12-1, 1-1 ACC) entered the game facing its fourth opponent in just seven days, coming off victories against James Madison, Wake Forest and Liberty. The Highlanders (3-7, 2-1 NorPac) were seeking their first win against an ACC opponent in their third try this season. ACC teams have now outscored Radford 19-1 on the year.

Radford’s only shot came just three minutes into the game, but it went wide of the goal. The Cavalier offense did not get started until much later in the half, however, when freshman forward Katie Kelly scored her first goal of the season just five minutes before the break. Fellow freshman forward Lucy Hyams scored next for Virginia, sending them into halftime with a 2-0 lead.

Senior forward Elly Buckley scored the next two Cavalier goals, adding to her ACC-leading total of 15. Freshman forward Caleigh Foust scored the final goal of the game. Three Virginia players make up the top three goal scorers in the conference: Buckley with 15, and Foust and freshman forward Riley Tata with eight each.

Junior goalkeeper Jenny Johnstone earned the win and shutout without making a single save because of the strong Virginia defensive showing. Radford fell to 0-25 all-time against Virginia.
The Cavaliers travel to New York this weekend to face No. 5 Syracuse and No. 12 Albany.