SPORTS

Basketball reveals three recruits

Stith, Wilkins, Salt solidify commitments

Virginia men’s basketball head coach Tony Bennett officially unveiled three additions to his 2014 recruiting class Thursday morning, proclaiming that verbal commitments B.J. Stith, Isaiah Wilkins and Jack Salt have signed national letters of intent.

“We are certainly pleased and excited about welcoming Jack, B.J. and Isaiah into the Virginia men’s basketball family,” Bennett said in a statement. “All three of these student-athletes will bring a lot of intensity, skill, athleticism and character to our program. They are well-rounded student-athletes, who understand the worth of a degree from the University of Virginia. We are looking forward to their arrival next fall.”

Stith, the son of Virginia’s career scoring record holder Bryant Stith, headlines the trio. A 6’5” winger with sound perimeter skills, Stith helped power Brunswick High in Lawrence, Va. — where his father coached until this fall — to three consecutive Division 3 state titles before transferring to hoops juggernaut Oak Hill Academy for this season. Rivals ranks him as the No. 48 recruit in the nation.

Wilkins may not technically share any genes with stepfather Dominique Wilkins, an Atlanta Hawks legend and member of the National Basketball Hall of Fame, but he is already excelling in the sport just the same. After a breakout 2012-13 campaign netted his Greater Atlanta Christian School squad a Georgia AA championship and him the division’s Player of the Year award, the 6-foot-8, 205-pound banger committed to Bennett’s program immediately following a visit to Charlottesville in late August. According to Rivals, Wilkins also falls within the country’s top 150 recruits at No. 107.

Scouts know the least about New Zealand native Salt, whom Bennett enticed to Virginia without attracting the attention of most recruiting analysts. At 6’10”, 240 pounds, the Westlake Boys High School standout adds length and defensive potential to what is shaping up as another physically imposing Virginia roster for 2014-15.

Provided every current underclassman on scholarship returns for Virginia next year, Bennett can now award just one more scholarship before hitting the NCAA-mandated limit of 13.

Published November 14, 2013 in Sports

• Sabrina No Source said:

Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...

• Carrie Clarke said:

Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...

• CrazyD said:

The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...