Basketball reveals three recruits

Stith, Wilkins, Salt solidify commitments

Virginia men’s basketball head coach Tony Bennett officially unveiled three additions to his 2014 recruiting class Thursday morning, proclaiming that verbal commitments B.J. Stith, Isaiah Wilkins and Jack Salt have signed national letters of intent.

“We are certainly pleased and excited about welcoming Jack, B.J. and Isaiah into the Virginia men’s basketball family,” Bennett said in a statement. “All three of these student-athletes will bring a lot of intensity, skill, athleticism and character to our program. They are well-rounded student-athletes, who understand the worth of a degree from the University of Virginia. We are looking forward to their arrival next fall.”

Stith, the son of Virginia’s career scoring record holder Bryant Stith, headlines the trio. A 6’5” winger with sound perimeter skills, Stith helped power Brunswick High in Lawrence, Va. — where his father coached until this fall — to three consecutive Division 3 state titles before transferring to hoops juggernaut Oak Hill Academy for this season. Rivals ranks him as the No. 48 recruit in the nation.

Wilkins may not technically share any genes with stepfather Dominique Wilkins, an Atlanta Hawks legend and member of the National Basketball Hall of Fame, but he is already excelling in the sport just the same. After a breakout 2012-13 campaign netted his Greater Atlanta Christian School squad a Georgia AA championship and him the division’s Player of the Year award, the 6-foot-8, 205-pound banger committed to Bennett’s program immediately following a visit to Charlottesville in late August. According to Rivals, Wilkins also falls within the country’s top 150 recruits at No. 107.

Scouts know the least about New Zealand native Salt, whom Bennett enticed to Virginia without attracting the attention of most recruiting analysts. At 6’10”, 240 pounds, the Westlake Boys High School standout adds length and defensive potential to what is shaping up as another physically imposing Virginia roster for 2014-15.

Provided every current underclassman on scholarship returns for Virginia next year, Bennett can now award just one more scholarship before hitting the NCAA-mandated limit of 13.