'Catching Fire' ignites new flame

In the second installment of the immensely popular “Hunger Games” series, the audience is thrown into 146 minutes of emotional distress. Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) is back in District 12 and suffering from post-traumatic stress. The end of the first film left a cold boundary between on-screen “lovers” Katniss and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson), and their saga continues as the two greet each other coldly at the onset of the second installment.

As they prepare to head off on a tour as victors, they find themselves under the watchful eye of the maleficent President Snow (Donald Sutherland), a white-haired villain who does not fall for Katniss and Peeta’s act. Snow blames Katniss’ defiance at the end of the first installment for the riots and disloyalty rampant in Panem, the story’s futuristic, dystopian country.

Forces are sent to all the districts to use violence to quell the riots — a battle Katniss’ best friend and quasi-love interest Gale (Liam Hemsworth), is participating in when Katniss intervenes, serving as an unaware leader of District 12 and of all other rebellious districts. She is the face of resistance, a female protagonist that is refreshingly not defined by her romantic interests or looks. This is the magic of the entire series — a relatable, strong heroine is created and no one questions the validity of her leadership.

The film is an impressive adaptation of Suzanne Collins’s novel. Though several minor details are left out, “Catching Fire” does what every sequel strives to do: outshine the original. “The Hunger Games” was what it needed to be, but “Catching Fire” is more exciting to watch, more intriguing and is able to develop characters into more dynamic people.

Even for those who read the books and know how the story will ultimately end, the movie keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. For a film so long, you don’t feel like you can look away even for a moment.

Oscar-winner Lawrence, in all her acting glory, make Katniss relatable to the audience — even to a point where you can internalize the pain portrayed on the screen.

The film played out beautifully, with astounding cinematography and beautiful scenery. For fans of “The Hunger Games” — including those who have never read the books — the movie stands on its own.