Cross country teams earn top-four finishes

No. 10 Cavalier women claim second place, men place fourth at ACC Championships Friday

The Virginia men’s and women’s cross country teams competed at the ACC Championships in Kernersville, N.C. Friday, with the No. 10 women claiming second place and the men finishing fourth.

The No. 5 Florida State women edged Virginia to capture their sixth straight ACC Championship while ACC newcomer Syracuse earned the men’s title.

Four Cavalier women earned All-ACC honors, the most in program history. Senior Barbara Strehler finished the 6k race fourth with a time of 20:20.8, freshman Maria Hauger placed 10th, junior Kathleen Stevens placed 12th and freshman Sarah Fakler placed 14th.

The efforts of those four, coupled with redshirt freshman Cleo Boyd’s 25th-place finish, put Virginia firmly in second place with 65 points. No. 5 Florida State finished first with 52 points while No. 19 Syracuse finished third with 108 points.

The Cavalier men placed fourth overall with 108 points behind All-ACC showings from sophomore Kyle King and senior Thomas Porter. King ran the 8k race in 24:15.3 which was good for seventh. Porter finished 13th, junior Drew Paisley finished 28th, sophomore Zach Herriott finished 29th, and redshirt freshman Adam Visokay finished 31st.

Both teams will now gear up for another race in two weeks at the Southeast Regional Championships in Earlysville, Va.