Field Hockey bows out of NCAA Tournament

Massachusetts ends Virginia's season with 4-3 overtime win Saturday in first round

The No. 7 Virginia field hockey team fell to No. 10 Massachusetts in overtime Saturday in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, ending its season. The Minutewomen did not lead at all during regulation, but they found an equalizer in the final minutes and scored a golden goal in the first overtime period to eliminate the Cavaliers.

Virginia (15-6, 3-3 ACC) scored first when senior forward Elly Buckley found freshman forward Caleigh Foust stationed in front of the net for a quick goal. Massachusetts (19-4, 7-0 A-10) then tied the game with about three minutes remaining in the half, sending the teams into the break even at 1-1.

Foust scored her second goal of the game five minutes into the second half to put Virginia back on top. Freshman midfielder Lucy Hyams tallied her team-leading 11th assist on the play. That lead did not hold long, however, as the Minutewomen tied the game just three minutes later.

Virginia once again broke the tie with nine minutes remaining in the game when freshman forward Riley Tata scored an unassisted goal. The Cavaliers looked poised to survive and advance in the final minutes of the game, but the Minutewomen tied the game for the third time with 1:08 left on the clock. In overtime, Virginia tallied a pair of shots on goal, but could not break through before Massachusetts ended the game 11 minutes into the period.

The loss marked the end of Buckley’s brilliant Cavalier career. She finishes third in program history in points and fourth in goals.

—compiled by Matt Comey