Grabbing hold of 'Death Grips'

Part hip-hop, part rock and part noise, Death Grips is one of the most interesting bands recording today. Since it was formed in 2010 by neighbors Zach Hill and Dave Burnett, the band has released a mixtape, three studio albums and a number of singles.

In keeping with their recent tradition of unscheduled releases, the group dropped its latest album, “Government Plates,” for free download and streaming online this week.

Death Grips’ latest effort retains the group’s signature sound, crowded with fierce vocals and a variety of noises, tenuously connected by a changing beat. Their song “I’m Overflow” maintains a consistent rhythm until just before the rap verse begins, after which the song takes on a completely different tone, only to find its original rhythm again at the end.

“Feels like a wheel” is a rare track that doesn’t include any rap verses, but is is still easily associated with the Death Grips’ sound, with two distinct and manipulated voices calling and responding as if in antiphony, “feels like a wheel” and “let me live my life.”

The appeal of Death Grips is not necessarily encompassed by any of their lyrical messages — the real attraction lies in their uncanny ability to capture sounds of aggression and anxiety in an entirely new and unfamiliar way. The name “Death Grips” reflects the music itself, which is always coarse, uneven and usually angry.

While Kanye West has also experimented with hybridizing rap with other forms of production to much success on his recent releases, Death Grips takes a different tact. Where West would pair periods of heavy electronic beats and dissonance with mellifluous harmonies and violin symphonies, Death Grips’ dissonance stops and starts repeatedly.

The rhythm throughout the album fluctuates unpredictably; Hill, who has accompanied rockers like Marnie Stern and the band Wavves, is a self-taught drummer, known for this distinct polyrhythmic style. Its composition alternates percussion, rap vocals and electronic recording. For someone who loves only experimental hip-hop, the accompanying music might seem unnatural and odd. But at the same time, hard-hitting rap verses might distract lovers of experimental noise-rock. Death Grips challenges us to listen to both simultaneously.

It is unclear when “Government Plates” will be officially released, but until then, enjoy it online, with the band’s blessing.