Loudoun board of supervisors hopes to decrease out-of-state admissions

University admissions dean says change in process is unlikely

A recent legislative agenda approved by the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors proposes imposing a new requirement that at least 75 percent of students at state-funded schools be from in state. The northern Virginia county approved the measure after an applicant from the area with a 4.28 high-school GPA was rejected from the University,.

“We have 30,000 people applying for 3,500 spots,” University Dean of Admissions Greg Roberts said. “There’s a lot of disappointment both in- and out-of-state.”

Currently, a little less than 70 percent of University undergraduate students hail from Virginia. The extra 5 or so percent would create spots for approximately 730 additional in-state students, or about 180 for each year.

Though the idea of increasing the percentage of in-state students has been discussed outside of the University, the idea has garnered little traction among University admissions officers.

“We’ve had this sort of balance since I’ve been here and, from what I understand, decades before that,” said Roberts, who has worked at the admissions office for more than 10 years. “We fully expect to maintain the current balance of in and out-of-state students.”

Roberts also stressed the value and diversity that out-of-state students bring to the University’s student body. He pointed to the successes of the two fourth-year College students — Charlie Tyson and Evan Behrle — who were named Rhodes Scholars earlier this week, both of whom are from out-of-state.

“We think that out-of-state students make great contributions to U.Va.,” Roberts said. “The out-of-state students enrich the lives of the in-state students, and vice versa.”

Currently, each of Virginia’s public universities requires a different balance of in-state and out-of-state students. William & Mary has more out-of-state students than the University, but Virginia Tech has fewer.

Roberts said that even though the University attracts many students from outside the state, it remains a state school committed to serving Virginians.