No. 11 Wrestling splits weekend bouts

Cavaliers beat Clarion, Rutgers, fall to Lehigh in New York

<p>Nick Sulzer won all three of his matches in the Northeast Duals this weekend.</p>

Nick Sulzer won all three of his matches in the Northeast Duals this weekend.

The No. 11 Virginia wrestling won two of three matches on Saturday at the Northeast Duals in Troy, N.Y. The Cavaliers overcame an early deficit against Clarion and adeptly handled Rutgers before suffering a narrow loss to Lehigh.

Virginia started slowly against Clarion and fell behind 6-3. But the Cavaliers managed to win four out of the final five matches, including a decision by No. 11 junior Gus Sako at 149 pounds and a major decision victory by No. 5 165-pound junior Nick Sulzer. Clarion ultimately fell to Virginia 21-13.

The Cavaliers got off to a much better start against Rutgers, going 22-9 in a match that was never in question. Once again, Sulzer earned bonus points by way of a major decision. He finished the day with three bonus point wins, driving his season record to 9-0.

The match with Lehigh was a nail biter for the Virginia squad. Lehigh took the first three rounds to jump out to an early 10-0 lead before Sako picked up the major decision to give Virginia four points. The two teams then traded wins — sophomore Blaise Butler lost at 157 pounds and Sulzer won as a result of a technical fall.

After seven matches, Lehigh led 16-8, but the Cavaliers cranked out wins in the next two bouts to close the gap to 16-14. Sophomore Ethan Hayes needed a win at heavyweight and fought valiantly. The match headed into overtime where Hayes gave up the takedown and lost the match.

Virginia will now turn its attention to the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational this weekend in Las Vegas, Nev.