Women's basketball wins Cavalier Classic

Wolfe scores 22 as Cavaliers beat Princeton in 69-57 win

spwbballwolfembronfin

The Virginia women’s basketball team won its third straight game Sunday, topping Princeton 69-57 to win the Cavalier Classic for the tenth consecutive year. Senior guard Kelsey Wolfe led the way with 22 points and nine rebounds.

The two teams traded leads early in the game. And a free throw from Wolfe tied the game at 11-11 with 16:07 left in the first half. Princeton (8-4) took the lead at 20-19 with 11:26 left, but Virginia (6-6) would move ahead to 21-20 on a Wolfe layup. It would be the last time that the Cavaliers trailed, as they finished the half on a 22-13 run to take a 41-33 lead in the break.

Virginia would not bring the same scoring output in the second half, but it would be enough to stay ahead of the Tigers. Princeton would come within five points early in the half, but the Cavaliers led by more for the rest of the game. In addition to Wolfe’s 22 points, sophomore guard Faith Randolph added 13 points and junior forward Sarah Imovbioh had 12 points and a team-high 11 rebounds. Sophomore guard Blake Dietrick led Princeton with 19 points, and freshman guard Vanessa Smith was the only other double figure scorer with 11 points.

The Cavaliers now have a week off before starting ACC play with a home matchup against Pittsburgh.

Published December 30, 2013 in Sports

OPINION

• Maintain zero tolerance

The Office of the Dean of Students was right to revoke FOAs for fraternities who conducted hazing activities ...

• WHISNANT: The United States of oligarchy

Because preferences of elites and average voters sometimes line up, the bias of the political process ...

• Get SMART

The SMART Resolution is evidence that student leaders understand the problems of the community and can ...