Cavaliers tame Wolfpack, 76-45

The Virginia men’s basketball team won its third consecutive conference game by double figures Saturday, handily dispatching NC State in Raleigh, 76-45. The Cavaliers are 3-0 in the ACC for the first time in four seasons and are one of just three remaining undefeated teams in the conference, along with No. 2 Syracuse and Pittsburgh.

Virginia (12-4, 3-0 ACC) raced out to an early 21-4 lead against the Wolfpack (11-5, 1-2 ACC) and never trailed. The score was 48-25 in favor of the Cavaliers by halftime, largely due to their shooting 60 percent from the field — a season high for any half. The Cavaliers held Wolfpack sophomore guard T.J. Warren scoreless for the first 14:46 and to just four points on the night. Warren, who shot 1-9 from the floor, entered the game averaging an ACC-best 23.4 points per game.

NC State could not pull any closer than 22 in the second half. Overall, the Cavaliers scored 22 points off of 16 turnovers, and dominated inside, outscoring the Wolfpack 38-16 in the paint. The team also shot a season-best 83.3 percent from the free-throw line, well above its 64.5 percent average.

Senior guard Joe Harris and sophomore forward Mike Tobey led Virginia with 16 points, while redshirt sophomore guard Malcolm Brogdon contributed 13 points. Freshman point guard London Perrantes dished out a game-high five assists, while senior forward Akil Mitchell led the Cavaliers in rebounding for the fourth consecutive game with 12.

Virginia concludes its road trip Monday at 7 p.m. in Durham, N.C. The Cavaliers face No. 16 Duke before returning to Charlottesville for a three-game homestand.