Cavaliers win five of six duals

After nearly two months since its last meet, the Virginia swimming and diving teams entered Christiansburg, Va. prepared for six dual-meets over a two-day meet. The final results were indicative of their strenuous winter preparations, as the teams took five of six duals.

The No. 7 Virginia women swept its competition, defeating Wisconsin, 225-139, Miami, 266-93, and in-state rival Virginia Tech, 245-125. Meanwhile, the No. 18 Virginia men gained victories against No. 24 Harvard, 225.5-125, and Wisconsin, 240-127, but fell at the hands of Virginia Tech, 217-153.

The Cavalier women won 12 of their 20 events, with four different swimmers winning multiple events.

Junior Ellen Williamson won the 200-yard individual medley Friday and the 200-yard butterfly Saturday. Sophomore Courtney Bartholomew also extended her successful campaign with victories in the 100 and 200-yard backstroke.

Freshman phenoms Leah Smith, Laura Simon and Kaitlyn Jones continued their impressive season as part of a vaunted class. Smith was victorious in the 200, 500 and 1650-yard freestyle, while Simon continued to dominate breaststroke, winning the 100 and 200-yard events. Jones placed second in both the 100-yard backstroke and 200-yard individual medley.

In addition to several individual event wins, Virginia also won the women’s 400-yard medley relay and the 800-yard freestyle relay. The freestyle relay team consisted of Smith, Jones and seniors Caroline Kenney and Rachel Naurath, while the medley relay team consisted of Bartholomew, Simon, Williamson and senior Emily Lloyd.

Senior Parker Camp led the men’s swimmers with event wins in the 200-yard freestyle and the 200-yard individual medley — an event in which Virginia claimed the top four finishers. In what has now become commonplace, junior JB Kolod won the 3-meter diving event Friday, while also placing second on the 1-meter diving Saturday.

The Cavaliers return to action next weekend to face Duke Friday in Durham, N.C., followed by their paramount ACC swimming rival, North Carolina, Saturday in Chapel Hill.