Council addresses SpeakUpUVa ideas

"These have accumulated from years ago," Promisel says

Student Council gathered Tuesday evening to discuss its response to various petitions on SpeakUpUVa, Council’s online forum for students to propose and vote on ideas for improvements around Grounds.

Current proposals range from creating a student nap center to adding more bus stops for the International Residential College. Other suggestions include doing away with Reading Days in the fall in order to consolidate Thanksgiving Break into one week and putting a sidewalk from Rugby Road to Madison Lane.

Council has initiated a new push to directly address and provide feedback to every idea offered in the forum. Most of the meeting was devoted to discussing some of these voiced concerns.

“We’re going to scroll through now and discuss ideas I think are worthwhile [because] if we can’t discuss it here, then we’re not taking this seriously,” said Representative Body Chair Michael Promisel, a fourth-year College student. “These have accumulated from years ago, [and] we’re trying to score through and actually clear up.”

Members of the Building and Grounds Committee and the Community Affairs Committee have already responded to some proposals. Council President Eric McDaniel, a fourth-year College student, said the group had done a good job taking on larger initiatives and needed to focus on some of the smaller ones.

“Big ideas have a greater risk of failure, and while that’s fine … the nuts and bolts of what Council is doing is taking on these small-scale projects,” McDaniel said. “It’s fundamental to the mission of what we do as Student Council. Even though it’s not flash and pizazz, it’s important.”