Ellen Williamson named ACC Swimmer of Week

Junior stars in dual meets against Duke, North Carolina

For the second straight week, a Virginia swimmer was recognized as ACC Female Swimmer of the Week. The ACC announced Tuesday this week’s honor would be given to junior Ellen Williamson for her performance against Duke and North Carolina last weekend. Williamson led the Lady Cavaliers to victories in both of their dual meets.

In the women’s 187.5-98.5 win against the Blue Devils Friday, Williamson won the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 2:00.29. In addition, she was the third leg on the Cavaliers’ victorious women’s 400-yard medley relay team, swimming butterfly.

Williamson followed her impressive display against Duke with a clutch performance versus North Carolina. After coming up a disappointing third place in the 200-yard butterfly, she won the last two women’s individual events to spark Virginia’s come from behind, a 152-146 victory.

Williamson narrowly won the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 54.48 to pull the Cavaliers within competitive distance of the Tar Heels. Then, in the 200-yard individual medley, Williamson won the event with a time of 1:59.88. The thrilling dual-meet win was secured in the final event when Virginia finished second in the women’s 400-yard freestyle relay. Williamson was also part of the victorious women’s 200-yard medley relay team.

Williamson was the third Cavalier this season to win ACC Female Swimmer of the Week. In November, sophomore Courtney Bartholomew won the award for her performance at the Ohio State Invitational, and last week, freshman Leah Smith was awarded for her performance against Virginia Tech, Wisconsin and Miami.

Virginia will travel to Raleigh, N.C. Saturday to face North Carolina State.