NEWS

Honor to have biweekly working groups

Committee seeks to improve member participation, Behrle says

3559_ns_honor_mbronfinf

After a few minutes of discussion Sunday night, the Honor Committee voted 22-0 to change its meeting schedule to better engage Committee members in discussion about key projects. The vote reflects an internal Committee change, rather than a bylaw reform. Starting next week, the Committee will meet as a whole every other week and meet in working groups during intervening weeks. The decision to propose the change came out of Honoe Executive Committee discussions at the end of last semester.

After a few minutes of discussion Sunday night, the Honor Committee voted unanimously to change its meeting schedule to better engage Committee members in discussion about key projects. The vote reflects an internal Committee change, rather than a bylaw reform.

Starting next week, the Committee will meet as a whole every other week and meet in working groups during intervening weeks. The decision to propose the change came out of Honor Executive Committee discussions at the end of last semester.

“[The working groups] could be fluid,” said Committee Chair Evan Behrle, a fourth-year College student. “Mostly just have it be small discussions, just as a way to kind of make it more interactive.”

Behrle said the Committee got the idea for working groups from reforms Student Council put in place last February to increase member participation. In a Cavalier Daily article in October, Vice President for Organizations Neil Branch, a fourth-year Batten student, said Student Council’s changes made meetings more engaging.

“You get greater discussion when it’s a closer group of five or six individuals versus a large room of 20 or 25, which makes [the meeting] more like a lecture,” Branch said.

Committee representative Madison Busch, a second-year Batten student, wanted to make sure community members still felt welcome at meetings, and Vice-Chair for Investigations Andi Chernau, a fourth-year Education student, said she wanted to engage Committee support officers in certain working group conversations.

Behrle said working group sessions would still be open to the public, and other Committee members thought working groups could allow the Committee to engage members of the public more directly and intimately.

The Committee will determine the agenda of its working groups at its full Committee meeting next week, Behrle said.

Published January 19, 2014 in Grounds, FP test, News

• Sabrina No Source said:

Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...

• Carrie Clarke said:

Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...

• CrazyD said:

The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...