Johnson arrested for New Years Day rape

Defendant set to appear in court again on Feb. 20

University Police arrested 27-year-old Derrick Johnson, above, and charged him with rape. University Police Chief Michael Gibson had notified the University community of the alleged rape, which occurred on Jan. 1, on Jan. 2.

University Police charged Derrick Johnson, Sr., 27, with raping a Charlottesville resident by force earlier this month on the 1200 block of Jefferson Park Avenue, according to a press release.

Derrick Johnson, Sr., 27, was charged with raping a Charlottesville resident by force earlier this month on the 1200 block of Jefferson Park Avenue, according to a University Police press release.

The victim sustained minor injuries and was treated at the University Medical Center. The police notified the University community about the assault in an email Jan. 2.

The police arrested Johnson on Jan. 3 “without incident.” Johnson appeared in Charlottesville General District Court Jan. 6 and is scheduled for a second court appearance Feb. 20. He is being represented by the public defenders office.

University Police investigated 11 incidents of forcible sexual assault on Grounds in 2012, the most recent year for which public data is available. The 11 incidents were down from 17 in 2010 and 13 in 2011.

Published January 12, 2014 in FP test, News