No. 13 Virginia steamrolls Tribe

Nauta, Epstein fuel decisive season-opening win

The No. 13 Virginia women’s tennis team began its season in dominating fashion, trouncing William & Mary 5-2 Wednesday. Both squads were missing star players in the contest, with Cavalier sophomore Julia Elbaba and Tribe senior Jeltje Loomans sitting out. Each player contributes immensely to her team’s success, with Elbaba checking in as the ninth-ranked singles player in the nation and Loomans forming half of the No. 7 double’s team in the country.

William & Mary (0-2) was unable to fill the void left by Loomans, and Virginia (1-0) started the match strongly by easily securing the doubles point with wins on the second and third courts. Sophomore duo Stephanie Nauta and Maci Epstein set the tone with a swift 6-0 victory, and the tandem of freshman Rachel Pierson and senior Caryssa Peretz quickly followed suit with a 6-2 win on the third court.

Virginia continued its strong play in the singles portion of the contest, with No. 58 Nauta easily winning her match 6-2, 6-1. The Cavaliers got solid performances out of all three of its newcomers, as Pierson, fellow freshman Marie Faure and sophomore Florida transfer Danielle Collins all earned convincing victories to ensure the season-opening win.

The Cavaliers will return to Charlottesville this weekend for the individual U.Va. Winter Invite tournament, which begins Saturday and runs through Monday at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.