No. 13 Wrestling captures Virginia Duals title

spwrestlingzachnyeegorham

The No. 13 Virginia wrestling team captured the Virginia Duals crown this weekend for the first time in program history, winning all three of its bouts during the two-day tournament. The top-seeded Cavaliers earned victories against Chattanooga, fifth-seeded Kent State, and second-seeded No. 14 Edinboro on their way to the title.

Chattanooga (10-5, 1-0 SoCon) fought valiantly Friday in the first match, but ultimately fell to Virginia (11-2, 1-0 ACC), 18-13. Sophomore Nick Herrmann kicked off the action with a major decision at 125 pounds, while the Cavaliers’ five other victories were all by way of decision. Redshirt-junior Nick Sulzer, the nation’s third-ranked wrestler at 165 pounds, bested junior Corey Mock 13-7 in one of the day’s marquee matchups.

Virginia opened Saturday against a familiar opponent in Kent State (7-6, 2-0 MAC). Earlier in the season, the Cavaliers handed Kent State a 29-12 defeat at the Hokie Duals, but the rematch was much more tightly contested. Trailing 12-10 with three weight classes remaining, Virginia won the final three matches to pull out a 22-12 victory and earn the right to face Edinboro (4-3, 2-0 EWL) in the championship round.

The Cavaliers relied on more late-match heroics to oust the Fighting Scots, 20-19. Herrmann won by decision at 125 pounds, but Edinboro rallied and took the next three matches. Redshirt-sophomore Blaise Butler’s 14-8 victory at 157 pounds whittled the deficit to seven, and Sulzer’s major decision brought Virginia within three. Redshirt-seniors Stephen Doty and Jon Fausey and redshirt-sophomore Zach Nye won the next three to clinch the match and the title for the Cavaliers.

Virginia returns to action this weekend against Old Dominion and ACC foe Duke.

Published January 12, 2014 in Sports

OPINION

• Maintain zero tolerance

The Office of the Dean of Students was right to revoke FOAs for fraternities who conducted hazing activities ...

• WHISNANT: The United States of oligarchy

Because preferences of elites and average voters sometimes line up, the bias of the political process ...

• Get SMART

The SMART Resolution is evidence that student leaders understand the problems of the community and can ...