Vay sentenced to 20 years for rape of University student

Man faces jail time for 2012 sexual assault

A Charlottesville man was sentenced to 20 years in prison last Thursday for a sexual assault that occurred in the fall of 2012 near the Corner.

Manneh Vay, 23, was convicted by a jury last October for abducting, raping and forcibly sodomizing a 17-year-old female University student. The jury recommended a sentence of 30 years. Until last week’s sentencing, he was held in the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail.

The crime occurred on the morning of Sept. 23, 2012 at an apartment party on the 1200 block of Wertland Street. Vay, who was not invited to the event, was arrested Sept. 25 by Charlottesville police.

University Police Chief Michael Gibson notified students by email about the incident on the day of the assault, emphasizing steps the police department believes students can take to help avoid similar situations.

“Young women need to be on the alert at all times and look out for each other,” Gibson said in the email. “University men also have the responsibility, as members of our community of trust, to look out for the well-being of University women.”