Women's Basketball downs Wake Forest

Umeri, Team hold off late Demon Deacon rally, improve to .500 in ACC

The Virginia women’s basketball team scored a 64-59 victory against Wake Forest Thursday night in Winston Salem, N.C. to level their win and loss totals in ACC play. The Cavaliers built a 17-point lead midway through the second half, watched it all but disappear, and then iced the game by sinking five of six free throws in the final 29 seconds.

Virginia (11-10, 4-4 ACC) led 27-16 at halftime and 41-24 after freshman forward Sydney Umeri scored on a lay-in with 13:06 to play. Wake Forest (11-10, 2-6 ACC) however, got within nine on junior forward Dearica Hamby’s and-one with 6:55 remaining.

The Demon Deacons made another push with less than three minutes on the clock, rattling off six unanswered points to whittle Virginia’s lead to two, 56-54, with 1:29 to go. Sophomore guard Faith Randolph knocked down a jump shot to give Virginia breathing room, but Hamby responded with a 3-pointer that brought Wake Forest within one.

The Cavaliers then stepped to the free throw line and hit most of their shots to preserve the win. Senior guard Ataira Franklin made two from the line; Randolph split a pair, and senior guard Kelsey Wolfe was good on both of her attempts for the final margin.

Wolfe and Franklin were in double-figures for the Cavaliers, scoring 18 and 12 points respectively. Umeri and junior forward Sarah Imovbioh combined for 17 points and 17 rebounds inside, and senior guard Lexie Gerson chipped in seven points and six boards. Hamby, the reigning ACC Player of the Week, put up big numbers for Wake Forest, finishing with team highs of 23 points and 10 rebounds.

Virginia plays Clemson Sunday afternoon at John Paul Jones Arena as the team tries to move above .500 in conference play. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m.