Freshmen lead Virginia track and field to successful weekend

Cavaliers post strong showings at three events across nation

Virginia track and field competed in three different events across the nation this weekend, taking another long stride toward next week’s ACC Championships, all while setting two school records and three freshmen records.

On day one, junior Jordan Lavender set the school indoor record in the 400 meter. Lavender placed third at the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark. and ran a 52.59, breaking her previous record set at last year’s ACC Championship.

Lavender followed up her record-setting performance by breaking another record the next day. Women’s 4×400 meter relay team members Lavender, sophomore Peyton Chaney, junior Vanessa Fabrizio and freshman Andrea Wright ran a 3:39.43 race, breaking a record set in 1987.

Overall, Virginia’s freshmen excelled throughout the weekend. At Arkansas, Aaron Worrell cleared 50’ 2.5” in the triple jump, setting the freshman record. Maria Hauger broke another freshman record at the Husky Classic in Seattle, Wash. in the women’s 3000 meter with a 9:29.20 time. At the Iowa Classic in Ames, Iowa, Adam Visokay broke the men’s freshman record in the 3000 meter with a time of 7:57.46 — good for first place and the third-fastest time in Virginia history.

Virginia Track and Field will head to Clemson, S.C. next weekend for the ACC Indoor Track & Field Championships.