Republican Bloxom wins 100th district special election

Delegate-elect will sit General Assembly's remaining 10 days

Republican Robert S. Bloxom Jr. defeated Democrat Willie Randall with 60.3 percent of the vote in a special election for the 100th House District Tuesday night.

The district includes Accomack and Northampton counties and portions of the cities of Norfolk and Virginia Beach.

Bloxom was sworn in Wednesday morning and will serve for the remaining 10 days of the General Assembly’s session.

Democratic Lynwood W. Lewis Jr. held the seat since 2004, but he stepped down after winning a special election for the Lt. Gov. Ralph S. Northam’s vacated Senate seat. Bloxom’s victory gives the Republicans a 68-seat majority in the House.

Republican spokesperson Matthew Moran attributed the victory to Bloxom’s strong campaign and local roots, as well as his opposition to the Affordable Care Act and Medicaid expansion.

“What you see here is the voters came out loudly and clearly, opposing Obamacare and Medicaid expansion,” Moran said. “As long as Democrats keep Obamacare at the forefront, I think candidates that oppose it will do very well.”

In a statement released Tuesday night, House Speaker William J. Howell assigned the special election results to clear Democratic opposition from voters.

“Gov. McAuliffe and General Assembly Democrats have wrongly injected Medicaid expansion into the budget debate,” he said. “Because they know Medicaid expansion does not stand on its merits, they have decided to use the budget as a bargaining chip in order to implement Obamacare in Virginia. The results tonight show that Virginians think that is wrong.”

Published February 26, 2014 in FP test, News