Study finds little gain from single-sex education

The APA challenges common assumptions

New research published in the American Psychological Association’s Psychological Bulletin suggests co-educational schooling offers the same quality of education as single-sex schools.

The study,“The Effects of Single-Sex Compared With Coeducational Schooling
on Students’ Performance and Attitudes: A Meta-Analysis,” showed only minimal
differences in academic achievement and motivation in single-sex versus co-educational schooling.

Funded by the National Science Foundation, the review synthesized the results of 184 studies in 21 countries between 1968 and 2013. It surveyed more than 1.6 million
students’ abilities and attitudes in math, science and verbal skills, as well as attitudes
about school, gender stereotyping, aggression and self-concept. The study did not find
any differences in these attitudes in single-sex or co-educational classrooms.

The authors tested claims by single-sex education advocates, including the idea that, when separated from boys, girls would prosper in male-dominated subjects, such as math and science.

“‘Girl power’ argues that girls lag behind boys in some subjects in co-ed classrooms,”
said Erin Pahlke, a co-author of the study. “This is not supported by our analysis and,
moreover, girls’ educational aspirations were not higher in single-sex schools.”

Fourth-year College student Katie Cole praised her experience at her all-female preparatory school.

“I truly felt I could be myself and grow to my full potential,” Cole said. “School and
friends were my top priority, and I think that is exactly what a high school student should
focus on.”

Study co-author Janet Shibley Hyde, who directs the Center for Research on Gender and Women at the University of Wisconsin at Madison, said she thinks single-sex education might not prepare students for occupations after graduation.

“Segregation by race or gender feeds stereotypes,” Hyde said. “The adult world is an
integrated world, in the workplace and in the family, and the best thing we can do is
provide that environment for children in school as we prepare them for adulthood.”

First-year College student Aidan O’Keefe said he experienced both “upsides and
downsides” at his all-male high school.

O’Keefe said that he experienced a “more relaxed atmosphere of solely learning,” which
fostered “respect and courtesy often lacking in today’s society.” He added, however, that he did notice the absence of female perspectives in academic discussions.

“Single-sex education was beneficial to me at that point in my life and maturity,” O’Keefe said. “Currently I feel that I am much better able to thrive in a co-educational environment and have moved past many of the concerns that were well-addressed at my single-sex high school.”

The study’s authors called for more research, especially among low-income and ethnic minority
students.