Women's golf opens spring season at Florida State match-up

No. 30 Virginia finishes fourth in 11 team field

The No. 30 women’s golf team kicked off its spring season with a fourth-place finish at the Florida State Match-Up Tournament. After opening the event in fifth place following a 10-over 298 Friday, the team shot 8-over and 6-over Saturday and Sunday, respectively, to post a weekend total of 24-over at 888 strokes.

The Cavaliers finished 17 strokes behind No. 13 South Carolina’s 7-over 871. The Gamecocks edged in-state rival No. 12 Clemson by two strokes, while host school No. 46 Florida State finished third with a 17-over 881 in the 11-team event. Notre Dame was slated to compete but was unable to make the trip due to weather-related travel complications.

Virginia and Clemson combined to win the tournament’s match-up format with a 1092, beating out second-place duo South Carolina and Mississippi State by two strokes. The matchup competition was scored by totaling each partner’s best four rounds and single worst score.

Freshman Lauren Diaz-Yi led the Cavaliers for the weekend, shooting a career-best 2-under 70 in Sunday’s final round and finishing tied for seventh with a 3-over 219.

Senior Elizabeth Brightwell and junior Briana Mao each trailed Diaz-Yi by five strokes, finishing tied for 16th at 8-over. Sophomore Lauren Coughlin overcame a second-round 6-over 78 to finish 25th at 9-over, while senior Portland Rosen rounded out the tournament in 29th place, shooting a 10-over 226.

Florida State freshman Matilda Castren opened the tournament with a pair of 4-under 68s, finishing at 10-under 206 to run away with the tournament. Castren led by two strokes after the first round, a lead she would expand to six strokes Saturday and ultimately never relinquish.

The Cavaliers return to the course March 7, when they travel to Hilton Head, S.C. to play in the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate.