Cavaliers fall short against Georgia Tech, 77-76

Loss at ACC Tournament likely means end of season for Virginia

The Virginia women’s basketball team bowed out of the ACC Tournament Thursday night in Greensboro, N.C. The No. 10 Cavaliers battled to the end against No. 7 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets but came up just short, falling 77-76.

Virginia (14-17, 6-10 ACC) trailed Georgia Tech (20-10, 9-7 ACC) by eight points after Yellow Jacket sophomore forward Roddreka Rogers hit one of two free throws with 6:14 to play, but Cavalier junior forward Sarah Imovbioh answered with a personal 6-0 run to make it 68-66 with 5:26 on the clock. Virginia tied the game on freshman guard Breyana Mason’s jump-shot at the 3:31 mark and again when Imovbioh sank two from the line with 42 seconds remaining.

Georgia Tech sophomore wing Aaliyah Whiteside scored the next three points, though, while Virginia went silent until senior guard Ataira Franklin stepped to the line with three seconds left. Franklin made both free throws and had a chance at a game-winning jump shot, but missed the mark as time expired.

Imovbioh had perhaps her best game in a Virginia uniform, scoring a career-high 27 points on nine of 11 shooting and grabbing a team-high 10 rebounds. Imovbioh also stayed on the court for 36 minutes, well above her season average of 23.9 minutes per game, in part because she picked up only two fouls.

Georgia Tech’s leading scorers, freshman guard Kaela Davis and senior guard Tyaunna Marshall, torched Virginia for a combined 54 points on 21-of-42 shooting.

The Cavaliers, with a losing record, are out of contention for an NCAA Tournament bid and look like a long shot to make the WNIT.

—compiled by Matthew Morris