Honor Committee launches Honor Week

Events to include roundtable discussions and giveaways

<p>The Honor Committee (above) kicked off &#8220;Honor Week&#8221; Sunday to encourage discussion and engagement with the honor system.</p>

The Honor Committee (above) kicked off “Honor Week” Sunday to encourage discussion and engagement with the honor system.

Sunday marked the beginning of Honor Week, an education and outreach initiative sponsored by the Honor Committee. With a packed schedule of giveaways, discussions and other events, the Committee hopes to increase student participation in the community and highlight new honor-sponsored programs.

“The events this week should be very successful in bringing Honor to the attention of various student groups, ranging from women business students to the LGBT community,” third-year Commerce student Joe Martin said in an email.

Martin is the Committee’s incoming vice chair for education, and was referencing an LGBTQ brunch committee members attended Monday and a planned panel discussion for Thursday co-sponsored with the Women’s Business Forum.

To kick off the week and spark student interest in the events, the Honor Committee distributed hundreds of Campus Cookies and flyers at University libraries. As students grabbed a cookie, committee members handed them a schedule for the week’s planned events.

Fourth-year College student Brittany Wengel, the Committee’s outgoing vice chair for education, said the goal of the kick-off event was to “increase personal interaction with [students as] opposed to [sending] standard emails.”

Support officers will facilitate daily roundtable discussions throughout the week in order to engage with students in a casual setting. Discussion topics include the University’s structure of student self-governance, the history of the honor system at the University and the role of honor in the University community. Honor will provide pizza at each roundtable.

Students interested in participating in a roundtable discussion can sign up on a Google form available through the “Honor Week 2014” Facebook page.

In addition to hosting daily roundtable discussions, committee members will set up Honor Committee information tables daily from 11 p.m. to 3 p.m. around Grounds to engage with students about their relationship to the honor system.

The specific locations will change daily and cover locations ranging from the Corner to Observatory Hill Dining Hall. Members will also distribute free T-shirts, pens, coozies, cups and other items to students interested in discussing the honor system.

Wengel said that in an effort to spread the word about the events, the Honor Committee has utilized social media, including a competition on Facebook.

“[The honor committee will] have a cover-photo competition where anyone who changes their cover-photo [to one of three Honor graphics with the hashtag] #honorweek will be entered to win a prize,” she said.

Participants will be entered into a raffle to win a $10 Starbucks gift card.

The Honor Committee also aims to highlight honor initiatives beyond just those relating to academics. This includes the Committee’s umbrella share program, which was introduced to the at the beginning of the semester.

“If [students] are at a library and it is raining [students may] take an umbrella,” Wengel said. “The hope is that they will do so with honor and bring it back.”

In regard to the Committee’s plans for the future, Martin said he “would like to continue these existing efforts to reach groups not typically connected to Honor” by engaging with various student groups and representatives from all 12 of the University’s schools.

“I would like to continue efforts to turn education events into discussions, where students not only hear about Honor, but also contribute their own thoughts and opinions about the system,” he said.

A full schedule of Honor Week events can be found on the “Honor Week 2014” Facebook page.