No. 3 Virginia dominates Syracuse, maintains perfect conference record

Women's tennis drops just one match, squeeze the Orange 6-1

The No. 3 Virginia women’s tennis team continued ACC play Saturday, keeping its conference record perfect by dominating Syracuse, 6-1, in New York.

After picking up their first win of the season against No. 48 Virginia Tech Friday, the Orange (1-9, 0-3 ACC) looked to upset Virginia (8-2, 3-0 ACC). The Cavaliers swept Syracuse in doubles play, picking up their second consecutive doubles sweep. Sophomores Stephanie Nauta and Maci Epstein got the first victory, defeating junior Amanda Rodgers and freshman Olivia Messineo 8-2. A win by senior Li Xi and sophomore Danielle Collins clinched the point at No. 2 before No. 7 sophomore Julia Elbaba and freshman Rachel Pierson added a victory to complete the doubles sweep.

Virginia continued its strong play into singles competition, claiming victories on four courts before the Orange were able to get on the board. Epstein and Nauta tallied the first two singles points before No. 4 Elbaba clinched the win for the Cavaliers, defeating senior Maddie Kobelt 6-3, 6-3. Collins posted a 6-2, 3-6, 10-5 win against Rodgers and freshman Marie Faure added a 6-1, 6-7, 10-5 win at No. 6. The only loss came at No. 3, where freshman Rhiann Newborn defeated No. 47 Pierson 7-6, 6-2.

The Cavaliers will return to Charlottesville to host No. 11 North Carolina and Maryland March 8-9 in their first outdoor matches of the season at Snyder Tennis Center.