Softball swept by Pittsburgh, slip to 4-27

Cavaliers' losing streak stretches to six games

spsoftballmarcybowdrenvaathletics

Marcy Bowdren made her first career start against the Panthers.

Virginia dropped all three games in a weekend series against Pittsburgh. The Panthers (11-14, 3-5 ACC) earned their first ACC sweep, winning 10-2, 9-4 and 7-6.

Game one was all about the long ball. The Cavaliers (4-27, 1-13 ACC) jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the opening frame. Junior outfielder Heidi Velk led off with a single and promptly stole second base. A single by freshman infielder Lindsay Mayer placed Velk at third, where she would score on a ground out by freshman infielder Madison Labshere. Mayer would come around to score on a Pittsburgh error.

Those were the final runs scored by Virginia for the duration of the game. The Panthers scored in each of the four innings they batted, also hitting four home runs. Mayer took the loss — her third of the season.

In game two, the Cavaliers once again scored in the top of the first, thanks in part to a two-run double by senior outfielder Stephanie Harris. Labshere would also score from third on a wild pitch later in the inning.

Senior Marcy Bowdren made her first career start, ultimately taking the loss in the complete game effort. She allowed nine runs — eight earned — on 10 hits, and walked six more. The Panthers slugged two more home runs — both in the fifth inning — to crack open the contest.

Pittsburgh won the finale in walk-off fashion. A three-run homer by freshman catcher Katie Park gave Virginia the 3-0 lead after two and a half innings, but the Panthers responded with five runs in the bottom half of the third to take the lead.

The Cavaliers scored once in the fourth and twice in the fifth to take the 6-5 lead, and would hold onto their edge until the bottom of the seventh. Freshman third baseman Katherine Kramer tied the game with a lead-off home run. Then, with the bases loaded, sophomore pitcher Aimee Chapdelaine hit sophomore outfielder Tori Nirschl to force home the game-winning run. Chapdelaine is now 4-23 on the year.

Published March 31, 2014 in Sports