Third-ranked rowers post 10 wins in Pac-12 Challenge

Cavaliers continue strong start, drop just two races

sprowingvaathletics

The No. 3 Virginia women’s rowing team competed in the Pac-12 Challenge this weekend in Redwood Shores, Calif., taking home 10 wins in 12 races. The Cavaliers opened the season March 15-16 at the Oak Ridge Cardinal Invitational, where they won all 21 races.

To start off the event Saturday, Virginia took three of four races against No. 13 Stanford — the Varsity Eight (6:29.91-6:38.86), the Second Varsity Eight (6:38.31-6:42.52) and the Second Varsity Four (7:34.67-7:57.10). The Cavaliers came up just short in the Varsity Four, as the Cardinal won by 2.20 seconds.

Virginia returned to the water in the afternoon, prevailing in its three races against Oregon State as well as a Second Varsity Four race against San Diego.

The Cavaliers squared off against No. 6 Southern California Sunday in a series of four races, claiming three. The teams split the first two races, with Virginia winning the Varsity Eight (6:31.2-6:34.1) while the Trojans took the Second Varsity Eight (6:48.9-6:51.5). The Cavaliers concluded the weekend with victories against the Trojans in the Varsity Four by 4.5 seconds and the Second Varsity Four by 18.7 seconds.

Virginia will be in action again Saturday, April 5 in Princeton, N.J., where the team will race against Columbia and its host, Princeton.

Published March 31, 2014 in Sports