Update: Police charge West Virginia man in connection to bomb threat

University Police proceed with investigation

University Police made an arrest Wednesday evening following an investigation into the two bomb threats sent to separate University medical facilities late Wednesday morning, according to a Thursday morning press release sent by University Police Lt. Melissa Fielding.

“Mr. Thomas Ray Morgan of Brenton, West Virginia was charged with one account of making a bomb threat,” the release said. “He was taken into custody by West Virginia State Police at approximately 9:00 p.m. on March 5, 2014.”

The first threat was directed at the Barringer Wing of the University Medical Center, across from the Corner. The building was evacuated around 10:30 a.m. while police searched the interior.

A second bomb threat was sent to 415 Ray C. Hunt Drive at the Fontaine Research Park at 11:26 a.m., according to Albemarle County Police spokesperson Carter Johnson.

“Approximately 300 employees and other occupants were evacuated, put on buses and moved to nearby buildings while we searched the area,” she said.

Johnson said the threat was sent in to a specific department within the building, which then called the police. Investigation was then handed over to University Police.

Morgan is currently being held at the Southern Regional Jail in Beaver, W.Va. as a pre-trial felon, according to the jail’s website. It is unclear whether Morgan was responsible for one or both bomb threats, and a potential motive has yet to be announced.