Virginia baseball dusts James Madison

No. 5 Cavaliers score eight runs in third, Jones wins first career start

The Virginia baseball team rocked James Madison, 13-2, Tuesday afternoon in Charlottesville, Va. The No. 5 Cavaliers tormented the Dukes’ pitching staff with 16 hits and five walks in 47 plate appearances to finish with their second-highest run total of the season.

Freshman right-hander Connor Jones earned the win in his first start for Virginia (12-3, 2-1 ACC) and combined with four relievers to limit James Madison to six hits, three bases on balls, and a hit-by-pitch. Jones (1-0), who had made six appearances out of the bullpen before Tuesday, allowed one run in four innings and threw 32 of his 46 pitches for strikes. Fellow freshman right-hander Alec Bettinger worked two scoreless innings in his second appearance of the year.

James Madison (7-9) tied the game at one in the top of the third after junior left fielder Chad Carroll tagged Jones for a leadoff double, but Virginia answered quickly and decisively, plating eight runs in the bottom half. Junior second baseman Branden Cogswell worked a walk off redshirt sophomore left-hander Aaron Hoover to start the Cavaliers’ turn at the dish, and junior first baseman Mike Papi launched his fifth long-ball of the season and second of the day one out later. Junior catcher Nate Irving singled in junior centerfielder Brandon Downes with two outs to chase Hoover (0-2). Virginia, helped by two James Madison throwing errors, scored five more runs before Downes grounded out in his second at-bat of the inning.

Virginia added three runs in the sixth, two on sophomore left fielder Robert Bennie’s RBI triple, and scored again in the seventh on James Madison’s third throwing miscue of the afternoon. Five Cavaliers had multi-hit games, including Cogswell, who finished 3 for 4 with three RBI and two runs scored.

Virginia plays ACC adversary Boston College this weekend in a three-game series at Davenport Field.