Cavs down Hokies in season finale, 17-12

Road victory guarantees winning record for regular season

Coming off a loss Sunday against Maryland, the Virginia women’s lacrosse team played its best lacrosse of the season Wednesday night, as the No. 15 Cavaliers (9-7, 3-4 ACC) closed their regular season with a dominant win against in-state rival Virginia Tech (7-8, 0-6 ACC), 17-12.

After opening the season with just four wins in 10 games, Virginia has defeated five of its last six opponents. Now assured an above .500 record, the Cavaliers are all but guaranteed to be selected for the NCAA tournament for the 19th consecutive year under coach Julie Myers.

Ten minutes into the contest, the Hokies held a 3-1 lead against Virginia. The Cavaliers tied the game at three, but another Virginia Tech score put Virginia down 4-3 with 13:54 remaining in the first half. From there, however, the Cavaliers took control by netting six-straight en route to a 9-5 halftime advantage.

Following the break, Virginia carried the energy from the end of the first half into the second. A goal by sophomore midfielder Mary Alati gave the Cavaliers a nine goal lead — their largest of the game — with 9:03 remaining. Virginia Tech tallied four of the last five goals once the Virginia substitutes entered the game.

Junior attacker Courtney Swan led the Cavalier offense with five goals and three assists. Senior attacker Liza Blue and sophomore attacker Kelly Boyd contributed hat-tricks. Senior goalkeeper Liz Colgan recorded 10 saves — her fourth consecutive game with at least that many.

Virginia will play next Thursday in the ACC Tournament in Newton, Mass.