Cherub: an otherworldly experience

Electro-pop duo transcends, excites

The funky fresh electro-pop duo Cherub performed live at The Jefferson April 8 — introduced by opening act Carousel. Both performers used smooth beats to turn the theater into more of a dance party than a concert.

The two members of the group, singer-songwriter Jordan Kelley and producer-performer Jason Huber, joined forces in late 2010 in Nashville, Tenn. Together, the two are an electrical match made in heaven.

Kelley’s angelic falsetto combined with Huber’s production of psychedelic-pop rhythms, as can be seen with their newest single Disco S***, provides listeners with a unique sound and makes it hard to resist moving to the beat. Cherub’s first release was an EP called Man of the Hour, subsequently followed by two official albums entitled “MoM & DaD” and “100 Bottles.” Their newest album, “Year of the Caprese,” will be available May 27.

A surprisingly large crowd turned up for the relatively unknown group last week — a testament to Cherub’s loyal Charlottesville fan-base. The group played a fraternity houses earlier in the year, and they seem to have amassed enough dedicated fans looking for an excuse to party — and party they did.

The majority of the audience was standing and dancing throughout the entire concert. Attempting to dance would probably be a more accurate description, given how crowded the venue was. They even created a fraternity party-esque vibe — pumping loud, danceable music, fraternities brothers everywhere, and floors sticky with alcohol. The place reeked of beer and sweat — how much frattier can you get?

But Cherub’s music offered an escape from the cramped quarters — masking, if not entirely eliminating, any discomfort the venue may have caused. Their setlist was spot on, providing a nice mix of more high-tempo songs with slower and more sensual songs.

The group ended on the crowd favorite Doses and Mimosas, a song which has garnered more than four million plays on Spotify. Aside from the music itself, both Kelley and Huber gave excellent performances, demonstrating an infectious enthusiasm for the songs they were playing. Huber even crowd-surfed during the climactic “Doses and Mimosas” performance.

Just like their music, Cherub gives an electric live performance. For fans of high-energy music and a good dance party, any Cherub concert is a must.