Five Cavaliers win individual titles at ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships

Virginia track and field wrapped up three days of competition at the ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships Saturday, with the Cavalier women finishing seventh with 60 points while the men placed eighth after collecting 53 points. Florida State was the champion for both the men’s and women’s sides.

Both Virginia teams scored three points during the first day of competition. Freshman Sarah Fakler set a new Virginia freshman record in the 10,000-meter run with a time of 34:15.20. Fakler’s record time was good for seventh place. Junior Ryan Satchell finished eighth in the men’s triple jump, also setting a personal record of 23’ 3.25”.

Sophomore Kyle King won the men’s 3000 meter steeplechase on day two of competition. His 8:48.47 time was the fifth-best in program history, and King became the first Virginia steeplechase champion in 10 years.

Freshman Filip Milhaljevic continued his recent run of excellence, throwing a 58’ 4.5” to earn third place and All-ACC honors in the shot put. On the final day of the ACC Championships, he won the discus throw with a mark of 181’ 8”.

Milhaljevic was one of four Cavalier champions crowned Saturday. Junior Jordan Lavender defended her title in the women’s 400-meter dash, and her 52.48 time was second-best in school history. Additionally, Lavender placed second in the 200-meter dash and was selected as the meet’s women’s running MVP.

Graduate student Dallas Rose won the women’s triple jump with a hop, skip and jump of 42’ 4.25”. Not to be outdone, Satchell claimed the men’s title in the triple jump, clearing 51’.

The team has the next two weeks off before hosting the Virginia Challenge May 9 and 10.