Jones leaves Virginia basketball team

Sophomore point guard hopes to find increased playing time at new school

The Virginia men’s basketball team announced in a press release Monday sophomore point guard Teven Jones would transfer from the program to seek playing time elsewhere.

“Teven informed me today that he is leaving the Virginia basketball program and will be looking for another school where he will have a better opportunity for playing time,” coach Tony Bennett said in a statement. “Teven’s role on this team and attitude were a significant part of our success this year. I understand his desire to play more and we will support him moving forward.”

While Jones played 405 minutes in the 2013 season as the backup point guard to senior Jontel Evans — starting nine games when Evans began the season with an injury — the sophomore saw his playing time drop to 125 minutes this season as freshman London Perrantes established himself as the Cavaliers’ starting point guard. Jones’ playing time was especially limited down the stretch, playing just more than four combined minutes in the team’s three NCAA tournament games. With freshman point guard Devon Hall coming off of a redshirt next season, the Virginia backcourt will only become more competitive.

Jones finishes his Virginia career averaging 1.7 points per game and 0.7 assists per game in 59 total games for the Cavaliers.

“I want to thank all of the coaches and my teammates for giving me the opportunity to be part of a special program,” Jones said in a statement. “This was the closest team that I’ve ever been a part of and it hurts to leave. But, I’m looking forward to continuing my basketball career at a new school.”