Long-time vacant Rugby building to become office space

Construction to finish in December


Renovations on a mansion-esque building on Rugby Road are set to bring faculty members around Grounds closer together.

Located adjacent to Beta Bridge, 203 Rugby Road has been vacant for years and was previously used as an apartment building to accommodate a growing faculty. Former Architecture Prof. Fiske Kimball designed the building, which was built in 1923.

As the building became decrepit with age, a historical renovation was launched to transform the residential building into general academic offices for faculty and staff, according to Mark Stanis, University associate director of project services.

The construction and renovations crews are not currently aware of which departments will be housed in the new building. By not customizing the building right away, the office of Facilities Management will be able to keep costs down until they find out which unit will best fit in the building.

“We are building it as a spec office building, so they can be very flexible,” Stanis said.

He estimated there will be a better idea of who will use the space by this summer.

Renovations are expected to be completed near the end of the year, most likely in December.

Published April 17, 2014 in FP test, News

The Cavalier Daily welcomes thoughtful, respectful and relevant comments that contribute to a public dialogue. In order to maintain a high level of discourse, all comments must be approved by our moderator. For more information, view our full comment policy.

Comments powered by Disqus

Powered by powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News