McGee to transfer following graduation

Tight end thanks teammates, coaches and fans for their "endless support"

spfootball_jakemcgeean

McGee originally committed to play for coach Mike London at Richmond, but when London took the job at Virginia, McGee followed.

Virginia senior tight end Jake McGee announced Friday he will transfer to another program after graduating in May. The Richmond native lettered three times for Virginia and paced Cavalier pass-catchers with 43 receptions and 345 receiving yards in 2013.

“I am very thankful for my time at U.Va. and I will always consider myself a Wahoo,” McGee said in a statement. “I have tremendous respect for coach [Mike] London and this football team, but I have decided to pursue my future career elsewhere. This is a personal decision and in no way should reflect on this team or its coaches. I want to thank my teammates, coaches and especially the Wahoo fans for the endless support. Go Hoos.”

McGee set a personal best for receptions in a game last Sep. 13 when he hauled in eight passes from junior quarterback David Watford against then-No. 2 Oregon. He equaled that total five weeks later at Maryland. The Virginia coaching staff had been deploying him in a hybrid wide receiver-tight end role this spring.

“I want to thank Jake for his contributions to the Virginia program and wish him the best,” London said. “When I came to U.Va., he was one of the first players we recruited because he had committed to play for me at Richmond. I am very proud of the fact he will graduate from the University this spring. I hope he finds a program that fits his desires for his final season as a college player.”

Published April 25, 2014 in Sports