No. 3 rowing continues strong start

Cavaliers take four of five in Princeton

spwomens_rowing_vaathletics

The No. 3 Virginia women’s rowing team competed against No. 7 Princeton and Columbia Saturday on Lake Carnegie in Princeton, N.J. The Cavaliers took four of five races on the day, narrowly missing first place in the opening race.

The Second Varsity Eight crews opened the regatta, as the host Tigers edged out a win by 3.0 seconds. Virginia’s Varsity Eight earned revenge in the next race, posting a time of 6:41.9 against Princeton’s 6:44.9 and Columbia’s 7:09.7. The Cavaliers followed up with wins at Varsity Four, Third Varsity Eight and Second and Third Varsity Four by margins of 11.3, 12.2, 10.5 and 36.0 seconds, respectively.

Through seven races this spring season, the Virginia Varsity Eight boat is still undefeated. The crew, which features freshman Georgia Ratcliff, junior Lizzy Youngling and senior Brandy Herald as new rowers this season, looks on par with last year’s boat, which finished fourth in the Varsity Eight Grand Final of the NCAA Championships. The Princeton Varsity Eight lost four rowers to graduation after placing second at NCAAs.

Up next for the Cavaliers is a trip to Ann Arbor, Mich. for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, where the team will go up against No. 9 Michigan and defending national champion No. 2 Ohio State.

Published April 7, 2014 in Sports