PROMISEL: The truth will set you free

The demonstration last Wednesday is an example of Jefferson’s vision for the University

“This institution will be based on the illimitable freedom of the human mind. For here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” Thomas Jefferson to William Roscoe, December 27, 1820

Freedom and Truth: two words very dear to the heart and life pursuits of Mr. Jefferson. Two words at the core of his vision for our University community. Two words too often used cosmetically, elegant facades devoid of meaning.

What does it mean to be free? What is truth? Who gives a flying Hokie? This past week in the Amphitheatre, students were offered a dramatic conception of truth. On Wednesday the sun beat down on Grounds, itching to sprout into vernal vibrancy. Students doused their dumplings, cursed the glare on their iPhones, and rejoiced in the company of classmates sprawled across the beloved crescent of stone steps. All was well.

As I sat amidst this scene, vainly attempting to prepare a case study for my 2pm seminar, a spunky looking group of family and friends began to descend the steps beside me. A boy no older than 6 gave me a wide smile. “Hello sir,” he said. I returned his smile, and after offering my greetings, began to read the charge plastered across his shirt. “Repent or Burn.” Hold on a minute, let me try that again. When he turned around, his back confirmed my incredulity: “Repent or Burn.” My first thought: uh oh.

Ten minutes later this young boy’s father was informing me of my condemnation. I — an “erotic University student” and outsider to this exceptional denomination — fell into the “burn” category. Naturally, my first reaction was anger. Who were these people? How could they say this to me and my classmates? More importantly, what about their children? For many of us, anger has defined our reaction to Monday’s events, and perhaps rightfully so. Nonetheless, I’d like to invoke our good old friend Mr. Jefferson and suggest a possible alternative.

No matter where you stand about the demonstration on Wednesday, one thing is for sure: the provocative group of men and women offered a claim of truth. This claim, reaching students in public bellows or side conversations, was dramatic and antagonistic. Although I believe Mr. Jefferson would not have agreed with the message, the pure intention, the assertion of truth, was exactly in line with his hope for a warm spring day on Grounds. Given the freedom of academic life, discussing the nature of truth is what Jefferson has challenged us to pursue.

In many ways, the truth offered on Wednesday was challenged. A few noble students attempted to “reason” (see quote above) with the people standing before them. As many discovered, this was to no avail. However, reasoning is a rare pursuit these days. Whether Christian, Muslim, Hindu, or none of the above, reason is the sword Jefferson hoped would be placed in the hands of his students. As a center of intellectual and personal growth for the civil leaders of the future, our University is the ideal place to bear this sword, not leave it shackled to the hilt.

Although the lure of soy sauce, beach week rumors and iPhone buzzing certainly provide stimulation on our beautiful Academical Village, this falls short of the real conversations we are meant to have. Truth, Jefferson tells us, is meant to be followed no matter what our presumptions might suggest. As he found out himself, we will often be wrong about where we end up. But the real loss is for those who never rise to explore.

Perhaps the quote above doesn’t do it for you. Perhaps you were not around for Wednesday’s provocations. Perhaps you couldn’t care less about truth. For you, I hope you do not leave these Grounds without trying. But for those who do, I challenge you. In light of Mr. Jefferson, in light of the little boy who offered me a warm smile on Wednesday, in light of the world primed to receive our knowledge, I challenge you: explore truth. Discuss, engage, relent, and bear your sword. Be not afraid for where your journey might take you.

And to my fellow fourth years who will be walking down the Lawn in a short few weeks, never forget the Greek words etched on the frieze of Cabell Hall. “You will know the truth and the truth will make you free.”

Michael Promisel is a Fourth Year Trustee.