Softball concludes season, swept by Boston College

Cavaliers finish year at 8-43

spsoftballjahn

Despite Aimee Chapdelaine’s gave up no earned runs in the Cavalier loss Sunday.

Virginia softball concluded its season in a fashion all too familiar — with a sweep by Boston College. The Cavaliers (8-43, 1-25 ACC) finished the year with the conference’s low mark in wins.

The Eagles (28-19, 12-11 ACC) easily dispatched Virginia in Saturday’s doubleheader, 9-1 and 5-1. Eagles senior outfielder Tory Speer went four-for-six on the day with two two-run bombs. Freshman outfielder Iyana Hughes drove in a run in game one and scored in game two.

Sophomore Aimee Chapdelaine was in the circle for the entirety of the series. She allowed 14 runs in 11.2 innings of work and earned the loss in both games.

Poor defensive play doomed Virginia in Sunday’s 4-1 loss. The Cavaliers took the lead in the fourth inning when freshman third baseman Lindsay Mayer scored on a sacrifice fly by junior first baseman Megan Harris.

In the sixth inning Virginia gave the lead back, and then some. Two errors allowed Boston College to score four unearned runs.

Despite zero earned runs, Chapdelaine took the loss in the season finale, going the full six innings. She allowed only three hits, but her outstanding performance was overshadowed by shoddy fielding, and her final win-loss tally would stand at 8-34.

Published April 28, 2014 in Sports