Softball swept by Hokies, fall to 6-35

Cavaliers drop three games to in-state rival

Virginia softball was swept by in-state rival Virginia Tech as the two faced off this past weekend. The Cavaliers (6-35, 1-19 ACC) had difficulties even staying close with the Hokies (27-16, 16-6 ACC), losing each game by no less than six runs.

Virginia Tech claimed the first game, 8-2. Sophomore Aimee Chapdelaine pitched all six innings, allowing eight runs — only four earned — on eight hits while striking out four. Senior second baseman Marcy Bowdren provided the whole of the offensive play with her sixth home run — a two-run shot in the second.

Two Cavalier errors sparked a five-run fifth inning in the second game, which landed as a 6-0 defeat. Chapdelaine yielded only one earned run in six innings, but the five unearned runs doomed the Cavaliers.

Bowdren carried the day’s momentum by going two-for-three at the plate. Freshman catcher Katie Park and junior first baseman Megan Harris each chipped in one hit to account for all four Virginia hits.

The Cavaliers drew first blood in the series finale, but eventually went on to lose 11-3 in five innings.

Bowdren reached on an error in the first inning and came around on a single by freshman shortstop Madison Labshere.

The Hokies responded with an eight-run second inning. Chapdelaine lasted only an inning and a third before being replaced by Bowdren. The senior would fare no better, however, and Virginia Tech bats attacked her for seven more runs in two and two-thirds innings of work.

Virginia tacked on two runs in the fifth inning to make the outcome appear more respectable, at least. Freshman third baseman Lindsay Mayer and Labshere both recorded a run batted in.

The Cavaliers return to the Park for a weekend series against Notre Dame. Sunday’s finale will also be Senior Day.