Women’s lacrosse stonewalls No. 6 Irish, wins 13-8

<p>Senior midfielder Maddy Keeshan scored a hat-trick in Virginia&#8217;s 13-8 win against No. 6 Notre Dame. Keeshan&#8217;s goal with 20:30 left to play gave the Cavaliers their largest lead of the game at 10-3.</p>

Senior midfielder Maddy Keeshan scored a hat-trick in Virginia’s 13-8 win against No. 6 Notre Dame. Keeshan’s goal with 20:30 left to play gave the Cavaliers their largest lead of the game at 10-3.

Coach Julie Myers said before Saturday’s game that for Virginia to secure the win, the team would have to hold a high-powered Notre Dame offense to under 10 goals. The No. 16 Cavaliers (7-6, 1-3 ACC) rose to the challenge, earning their third straight win against No. 6 Notre Dame (8-5, 1-4 ACC), 13-8.

The Cavaliers are above .500 for the first time this season. To reach the NCAA Tournament, they need two more wins with three regular season games and the ACC Tournament remaining.

Notre Dame outshot Virginia, 31-27, but senior goalkeeper Liz Colgan stonewalled the Irish, making 11 first-half saves to tally 16 on the day.

The Cavaliers dominated the draw controls, winning 16-of-23 — including 13-of-17 in the second half — while also committing 16 fewer fouls than Notre Dame.

Virginia jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first nine minutes of the game, and went into halftime with a 4-1 lead. Senior midfielder Maddy Keeshan gave the Cavaliers their largest lead of the game when she scored to put Virginia up 10-3 with 20:30 left to play.

Keeshan, junior attacker Courtney Swan and sophomore attacker Kelly Boyd each scored a hat-trick in the victory — Swan’s ninth of the season. Junior attacker Casey Bocklet also posted a goal and three assists for the second straight game.

Virginia will next face No. 5 Boston College (10-3, 2-3 ACC) Thursday at 7 p.m. in the final home game of the season at Klöckner Stadium. The program will honor its seniors in a pre-game ceremony.