Youth AIDS at UVA

Local group to provide free HIV testing

According to the World Health Organization, as of 2013, more than two million adolescents are living with HIV. AIDS-related deaths have increased 50 percent in the past nine years among adolescents, and according to the CDC website, 60 percent of adolescents aged 13-24 who are HIV positive don’t know it.

“It’s important to start talking about youths because for every four people we test, it’s someone who is college-aged who tests positive,” said Peter DeMartino, chief executive officer of AID/HIV Services Group, a local organization committed to HIV and AIDS awareness and support.

On April 1, ASG opened a general practice office, where patients can speak to a nurse practitioner about general health and receive counseling, psychological or psychiatric support. ASG provides for general health needs but focuses on sexual protection and drug use.

“[ASG is] a Charlottesville equivalent to a country doctor,” DeMartino said.

“I think there should be more partnerships between ASG and U.Va. to increase awareness,” said Clay Cook, a fourth-year Education student and veteran ASG volunteer. “I don’t see the representation of our age group in terms of the clientele that we see. There should be more awareness about HIV and AIDS at U.Va. because, as students, we have the resources: we can get free condoms and be tested at Student Health.”

In honor of National Youth HIV & AIDS Awareness Day, ASG will hold testing for University students this Thursday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the LGBTQ Center in Newcomb Hall.

“The only way we will ever conquer HIV and AIDS is if people know their status,” said Eric Mayes, ASG environmental strategies coordinator.