SPORTS

Virginia draws even in Omaha

Waddell throws complete game, Cavaliers produce 13 hits to force decisive game three

spbaseballvsmiamikgrant

Sophomore left-hander Brandon Waddell came up big for Virginia, pitching a complete game with the Cavaliers facing elimination.

Sophomore left-hander Brandon Waddell had never pitched past the eighth inning before Virginia’s 7-2 win against Vanderbilt Tuesday night.

Waddell’s performance, coupled with Virginia’s 10 hits against Vanderbilt junior right-hander Tyler Beede — the 14th overall pick in the 2014 MLB Draft — means that Virginia will return to TD Ameritrade Park Wednesday night at 8 p.m. for a chance to seize college baseball’s national championship.

By the end of game two, his line read 115 pitches, 75 strikes and a clutch complete-game victory. With the No. 3 Cavaliers backed against a wall in Omaha, Waddell delivered a series-leveling gem to bring the Cavaliers to much-needed victory.

The Houston native overpowered the Commodores by changing speeds and pounding the strike zone all night, holding opposition to just five hits, three walks and one earned run while striking out five.

Vanderbilt scored in the second inning when junior center fielder John Norwood walked, stole second, advanced to third on a single and came home, courtesy of junior designated hitter Chris Harvey’s liner.

Virginia answered an inning later with junior second baseman Branden Cogswell’s bunt down the first-base line, allowing junior center fielder Brandon Downes to tie the score at one.

The Commodores gained a 2-1 edge in the fourth. Redshirt sophomore first baseman Zander Wiel reached second on a Cavalier throwing error and crossed home plate on Norwood’s double.

From there, it was all Virginia.

The Cavaliers put up three runs in the sixth, partially facilitated by Downes’ RBI triple. An inning later, junior third baseman Kenny Towns helped Virginia increase its lead to 6-2 with his third hit of the evening. Sophomore designated hitter John La Prise added an RBI single in the ninth.

Waddell’s complete game kept the Virginia pitching staff mostly available for an all-hands-on-deck game three Wednesday to close out the championship series.

Published June 25, 2014 in Sports

• Sabrina No Source said:

Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...

• Carrie Clarke said:

Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...

• CrazyD said:

The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...