Collins takes first set to No. 2 competitor in US Open

Virginia junior's 1-2 loss established her talent at global level

Virginia junior Danielle Collins continued her impressive individual run Tuesday in a solid outing against the No. 2 player in the world Simona Halep at the U.S. Open in New York. The St. Petersburg native took the first set in a tiebreaker before falling in 6-1, 6-2 in the final two frames.

Collins earned the right to play at the Grand Slam by taking home the 2014 NCAA Singles National Championship — a first in Virginia history. Facing this year’s runner-up at the French Open, Collins was able to fight back from an early break to take the first set to a tiebreak, where she handily won 7-2.

Though Halep’s experience at the professional level ultimately allowed her to overpower Collins, the junior’s talent was evident as the world looked on.

Collins joined the Virginia roster last year after spending her freshman year at the University of Florida, where she posted a 24-8 singles record. The junior made her presence felt when she arrived in Charlottesville and earned 37 victories, tying for second-most all time in a single season at the University.