Free arts finds

A&E reveals the best of free Charlottesville arts events

College comes with a hefty price tag. Between tuition, textbooks and other “necessities,” new students seek relief with cheap eats and store discounts soon after they move in. Though familiar Charlottesville venues such as The Paramount and The Jefferson offer must-see performances, they are not always affordable on an average student’s budget. That being said, there are various ways to experience Charlottesville’s unique and lively atmosphere without burning a hole in your wallet. Take a look at these local events and spots in which “free” is just one of many incentives to attend.

1. Charlottesville and University Symphony Orchestra
If you’re growing weary of a capella music, the sounds of vibrant instrumental music are only a short walk away from dorms to Old Cabell Hall. Both students and local residents play in the Charlottesville orchestra, bridging the divide between student and local organizations. Orchestra concerts succeed in attracting audiences of all ages, from the young aspiring violinist to the avid classical listener. The orchestra also holds “Symphony Under the Stars,” an annual fall event sponsored by the University Programs Council that takes place in the Amphitheater. This year’s concert will occur on Sept. 20 with various jazz selections, including music from “Chicago” and Duke Ellington.

2. Final Fridays
As good as it is to hear the word “free,” pairing it with “food” makes it even better. Ample food combined with art from well-known artists and students creates a perfect evening on Grounds. On the last Friday of each month, the Fralin Museum of Art (located on Rugby Road) organizes an evening for students and local residents to eat, socialize and browse the museum’s collection. Not only is the event a great way to kick off the weekend, it also allows students to get a “taste” of the arts community.

3. Virginia Festival of the Book
Perhaps one of the lesser-known events among students is the annual Virginia Festival of the Book, an event which brings together not only writers and readers, but also individuals committed to promoting education and literary culture. Each year, the festival features various events, including lectures and book signings from acclaimed authors. Though a few events require purchased tickets, the festival offers many opportunities to talk or listen to favorite authors at no cost.

4. Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Art Museum
When you think of Charlottesville, a few rankings may come to mind. Among them include “Happiest City in America,” “Best College Town” or “Restaurant Capital of the World.” One lesser-known title, however, is home to the largest collection of Australian Aboriginal Art in the United States. It can be found at the Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Art Museum, a 10-minute drive from Grounds that is well worth the commute. At the museum, not only do visitors receive a tour of the artwork, they also have the opportunity to learn about the way in which it is stored and preserved.

Though this list includes only a handful of the complimentary arts events in the Charlottesville area, each event is unique and well worth visiting. In such a vibrant and creative community, there truly is something for everyone.