SPORTS

Midsummers Minute Pt. 4

Preview of what fall sports season has in store

4670_soccer_porterdickie_2f

Here it is, the fourth and final installment in The Cavalier Daily’s newest series, the Midsummers Minute. For this edition, Matt takes a preview of the fall sports season at Virginia. Miss the first three parts? Click here to read about the latest Cavaliers to join professional sports, here to catch up on the summer’s biggest professional sports updates and here for a look at the highlight and lowlights of the summer sports season so far.

With the great success of our athletics department last year — in the Directors’ Cup standings, which ranks Division I schools by their top-10 finishes in both men’s and women’s sports, Virginia finished fourth — it’s hard not be excited about what the 2014-15 year holds.

Both Virginia soccer teams made it to the College Cup last year, and both are sure to be loaded again this season. Though last year’s men’s team was extremely young, graduating just four seniors, it will return this year with no seniors on the roster at all, which bodes well for the Cavaliers’ chances of returning to the Cup. The women also will return a stacked roster, led by MAC Hermann award winner and ESPY nominee Morgan Brian, a senior. Last year’s 24 wins — a school record — and undefeated regular season will be difficult to repeat in the gauntlet that is ACC soccer, but this year’s team is looking to do what they couldn’t in 2013 and finally claim the NCAA title.

Then, there’s football. Yes, football. We know.

But right now, at the beginning of August, there’s no reason — no good one, at least — to assume another very bad season is on the way. While it may be wise to temper expectations for a team that was 2-10 overall last year and 0-8 in the ACC, we should also take note of senior strong safety Anthony Harris — already named to the watch lists for the Bednarik Award, Nagurski Trophy, Thorpe Award and Walter Camp Player of the Year — as well as senior running back Kevin Parks, who is on the Doak Walker Award Preseason Watch List, and freshman defensive tackle Andrew Brown, the 2013 Gatorade National Player of the Year. Maybe coach Mike London’s team won’t win a bowl game this year, but, at present, I’m liking our chances to show real improvement. We’re 0-0 and haven’t lost in eight months, after all.

That’s a wrap on the Midsummer’s Minute — thanks for reading!

We’ll be back in regular production next week, so check back for full season previews, game recaps and in-depth features in the semester ahead.

Published August 5, 2014 in Sports

• UVa_reader said:

This article should be required reading for faculty and students who rushed to judgment and used the RS article to unleash a torrent of unjustified criticism ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi

• Julie said:

“It is no secret that sexual assault is under-reported — both on college campuses and in the general population,” she said. Huh? So they decided ...
    on University will administer sexual assault climate survey

• CLAS93 said:

Chased from your home by a mob, subject to death threats, unable to go to class because your own instructors are so blindly biased -- this is U.Va.? We ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi

• James Roberts said:

On the contrary! CD has finally achieved equality for women by eliminating diversity. The board now has a safe space where they can manage the paper without ...
    on ​Cavalier Daily elects first ever all-female managing board

• Gordon Westerly said:

"They put themselves in a dangerous position by clearly hurting someone on a level that remains unclear and all the while operating a fraternity that ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi