Parachute shoots for the stars

Hometown heroes to perform in Charlottesville, promote recent album

Nationally acclaimed pop-rock band Parachute will return to Charlottesville on Sept. 10 to rock out at The Jefferson Theater. The 2013 release of the band’s third full-length album, “Overnight,” sparked momentum for a headlining tour this fall. After touring with Gavin DeGraw and other superstar acts like the Plain White T’s for the past six months, lead singer and founding member Will Anderson says the group is “excited to play for a long time [onstage] rather than opening” for another artist.

“Overnight” shows a marked change in style and energy for the group, shifting toward heavier pop influences. The transition process, Anderson said, was casual and spontaneous. The group met producer Oren Yoel and came to love “his thing,” which came through in the mature style and sounds he exuded from the band.

“His thing melded with ours,” Anderson said. “We just happened to work with a really creative person. It wasn’t like a big to-do, and we’re happy with it.”

Anderson said long-time fans of the band are happy with the evolution — saying the modernization of their slower, indie-sounding tunes is contributing to their ever-expanding image and reputation.

Parachute was founded in Charlottesville in 2006 while Anderson and former guitarist Nate McFarland were studying at the University and performing with The Virginia Gentlemen. Sparky’s Flaw, a pop-rock experiment the original quintet formed while together at Charlottesville High School, eventually led to Parachute’s creation.

“We used to wonder … why do they want to keep us in Charlottesville when we were dying to go touring?” Anderson said.

But Charlottesville was the perfect incubator for the group and its ambitions, Anderson said, describing the city’s “mellowness…an ease of life” that he enjoys immensely and finds himself missing in his new Nashville, Tennessee residence.

The group’s September concert though will be anything but relaxing, Anderson said.

“There’s such a fantastic music scene in Charlottesville,” he said. “There’s something about coming home – you want to prove yourself worthy of being a part of it.”

Being able to perform in the community that initially supported his efforts is nevertheless a rewarding and inspiring experience, Anderson said.

“It’s the most fun you could have,” he added with a smile.

The future of Parachute looks bright, with new music in the works and the upcoming Meant to Be Tour expanding to more areas.

“This new tour came up, and it feels fresh,” Anderson said. “We’ve never been more excited about it.”