What Wahoos wear

Fashion advice for the first-year student

Coming to Grounds as a new student can be intimidating. There is the stress of trying to make a good first impression, find new friends and have a social life which is both stable and fun. For some, one of the chief contributors to this stress can be deciding what to wear.

Perfecting one’s wardrobe, however, should be rewarding, not a source of anxiety.

First, you should take into consideration that there is no dress code which can accurately characterize all University students. There are so many different types of people, with so many different backgrounds and styles, that deciding what “everyone” is wearing may be harder than you think.

As a new student, it may seem like the majority of people you initially interact with look the same. You will see no shortage of clean-cut students clad in khakis, Sperry shoes, plaid shirts and maybe the occasional knee-length sun dress. If it is raining, you will likely see a North Face jacket or two and the omnipresent L.L.Bean duck boot.

Though there is nothing inherently wrong with dressing this way, sudden immersion into the University scene may seem like a grim sentence to four years of an unspoken dress code. But few students feel this way after living on Grounds for a couple of weeks.

“I feel like the way you dress should be a reflection of who you are,” third-year College student Bridget Rice said. “Here at U.Va., we definitely have a variety of personalities — and that’s not always reflected in the way we dress.”

Rice points out a real concern here. More often than not, students will blindly conform to what they think University culture expects of their appearance.

Sometimes, this misconception is centered around perceived expectations in the Greek community.

“I know in my fraternity, each guy has his own style and I don’t feel pressured to adopt a new wardrobe,” said third-year College student Ahmet Yildirim.

While University fashion can appear superficial at first glance, there is so much more to the school.

The beauty of this place is that you can learn so much from people from all walks of life — regardless of what brand names are printed on the tags of their jackets. If wearing pajamas all the time is more your style, go for it. If the only shoes you own are cowboy boots, you don’t need to go out and buy Sperries just to prove you’re Foxfield ready. You are a Wahoo, and that defines you much more than any brand. Don’t be afraid to make a statement.

During your time here at the University, it will benefit you to remember that what Wahoos wear is not bound by any rulebook. Mimicking the wardrobe of Dean of Students Allen Groves — known for his bowties — will do nothing to raise your GPA. So learn to enjoy yourself — and your clothes.