Banks’ debut record cashes in on a promising future

Despite lyrical cliches, rising pop act fits right at home with her contemporaries

<p>Banks' first full-length release, “Goddess,” is filled from start to finish with low-driving synths in the background of her soaring and emotional vocals.</p>

Banks' first full-length release, “Goddess,” is filled from start to finish with low-driving synths in the background of her soaring and emotional vocals.

Banks, a female alternative R&B artist from Los Angeles, should be pleased with herself.

Her first full-length release, “Goddess,” is filled from start to finish with low-driving synths in the background of Banks’ soaring and emotional vocals. Banks sonically resembles Lana del Rey with Lorde-esque production. With “Goddess,” Banks has an album which sets her up for success on the same level as the New Zealand pop artist. All Banks needs is a “Royals” of her own. Luckily, the lead single from this album has potential to assume that position.

Beggin For Thread” is full of lyrics ripe for singing and Facebook statuses in the month-long mourning period after a breakup. Banks recalls her own trouble with this topic, as she remembers being “stooped down and out you got me beggin for thread / To sew this hole up that you ripped in my head.” But the strength of “Thread” is the downfall of “Goddess”: Banks seems unwilling to tackle subjects outside of relationships.

Though the album lacks variety, it never feels repetitive. What Banks may lack in lyrical depth, though, she makes up for in raw musical talent and production choices.

The first half of “Goddess” is fuller and more theatrical, showcasing Banks’ vocal prowess on singles “Waiting Game” and “Brain”. The latter track features a production credit from Shlohmo, who performed at Cabell Hall last year and more recently released a collaborative EP with R&B artist Jeremih. The title track was produced by Lil Silva, a frequent Banks collaborator on the rise in the alternative R&B industry.

The moments on the album where Banks truly shines are on the stripped-down songs “You Should Know Where I’m Coming From” and “Someone New." Though these songs' lyrical content isn’t especially unique, the unfiltered emotion Banks channels into the tracks makes them special. Her perfectly strained voice rises over the acoustic production, showing a versatility which should make listeners eager for her next release.

“Goddess,” though lacking in range of lyrical content, is packed full of potential bolstered by spectacular production. To call this a breakout album would be a bit preemptive, but it certainly sets the stage for a healthy pop career.